Two Yale homes were evacuated Tuesday night after a homeowner accidentally caused a gas leak.
Yale Fire Chief Chris Hubbard said the incident was reported shortly before 5:30 p.m.
The gas leak was caused by a homeowner on North Street who hit the gas line to his home while digging in his yard, he said.
Hubbard said the homeowner’s house and the one next to it, in the direction the wind was blowing, were evacuated. Other households in the area were informed of the incident and asked to stay inside to prevent creating sparks.
The fire department closed off the block from North Street to Mechanic Street for about an hour during the gas leak, he said.
SEMCO Energy Gas Company was reported at the scene shortly before 6 p.m. and Hubbard said the company was probably done at the scene before 7:30 p.m.
He said no injuries were reported from the incident.
Contact Bryce Airgood at (810) 989-6202 or email@example.com. Follow her on Twitter @bairgood123.
Read or Share this story: https://www.thetimesherald.com/story/news/2020/05/12/gas-leak-causes-couple-yale-homes-evacuate-tuesday-night/3121019001/