A construction crew using Bobcat equipment struck a gas line in downtown Okauchee on May 12, according to Western Lakes Fire District Chief Brad Bowen.
“There was active gas flowing so they evacuated the houses, basically a 300-foot perimeter until the gas company could arrive and shut down the flowing main,” Bowen said.
The incident occurred near Shady Lane and Wisconsin Avenue. Both streets were blocked off to prevent traffic from coming through.
“Someone driving through with a cigarette or a spark on their car could cause problems,” Bowen said. “That’s why we established perimeters and blocked the roads down.”
The call came in at 9:53 a.m., and the surrounding area was closed for an hour, according to Bowen.
Read or Share this story: https://www.jsonline.com/story/communities/lake-country/news/oconomowoc/2020/05/12/okauchee-streets-temporarily-shut-down-after-gas-leak/3115988001/